Sunday, November 2, 2014

Noticing Something

It's getting colder and colder by the day. My apple tree leaves are mostly all still there but some are slowly falling off. The other tree's and plant's leaves around my apple tree are yellow and orange. It's beginning to rain more and the dirt feels cool and moist. The sky looks cloudy and gloomy more often. But this week as I sat under my apple tree I noticed something that I haven't been paying attention to my whole life. Something that can be seen anywhere in the world. Something that shines so bright. Something so magical. Something that one day can look like a banana and the other like a half pizza. But it gets better, it can be a whole pizza too! "What is this something she's talking about?", many of you might be asking themselves. Well this something is the Moon. After watching the moon change shape I started wondering why this happens. I found out on the website of Grid Club that the reason this happens is because half of the Moon that points toward the Sun looks bright because it is lit by sunlight. The Moon appears to change shape because we see different amounts of the lit part as the Moon orbits Earth. When the Moon is between Earth and the Sun, the lit side is hidden from us. After reading this I remembered there was some days that when the Moon wasn't fully there I could actually see the outline of the Moon. It was like an invisible curved line. Below is a picture I found online that shows the Moon's phases.
(Picture found on the website of planetforkids.org)
 
After researching this more questions came to my mind so I kept researching and I came upon the website of Nine Planets. Here I learned a lot of interesting facts like the moon is Called Luna by the Romans, Selene and Artemis by the Greeks, and many other names in other mythologies. Also that the Moon is the only natural satellite of Earth. The moon is such an interesting "something." There is much to learn about the moon than I thought. If you would like to know more visit the website of http://nineplanets.org/luna.html

Below Are some pictures I took of My Own.
(Picture Taken By Allison)


(Picture Taken By Allison)


 In all my sixteen years of living not once have I observed or even became close to being curious about the moon. I always saw the moon as just something else in this world. But it's actually more important than I thought. Observing my apple tree has brought me to discover other great things. I need to start paying more attention to my surroundings because I've noticed that every week I get into observing some new that I never paid any kind attention to. I would like to advice everyone to see a little closer and observe a "something." Good luck Everyone!                            
                        

Work Cited
"The Moon." Nine Planets. N.p. n.d. Web. 2 November 2014

5 comments:

  1. I love the bottom photo. The silhouette of the tree in the foreground is beautiful. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you talked about the moon and a banana or half of a pizza. For a second I didn't really know what you were talking about but as I kept reading it all made sense. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way you describe every detail of the dirt and the leaves as they change. You are really starting to know what you are talking about, and I can't wait to read more about what you observe as it gets colder. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally really loved the second to last photo. The way the clouds overlap and create a seemingly rigid and bumpy texture reminds me of when I just cant seem to get my brush strokes smooth enough on the canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned a lot about the moon by reading this blog. I had no idea that the lit side of the moon is hidden from us. That's amazing. It's very interesting how many individuals including myself don't pay attention to this wonderful part of nature. I know that the moon is there but I don't leave my house at night to find myself looking up at it and observing it. It's simply just there and I feel like I'm only reminded it's there when someone says "Look there's a full moon!"

    ReplyDelete